Facebook Nearby Friends is a feature which allows you and your friends to share your current location. By sharing, I mean, if you’re at a particular place and you have the Nearby Friends feature turned on, your friends will know where you are, just like you’ll know where they are.
Using the Nearby Friends feature requires turning on location services on your phone. Facebook takes advantaage of this to identify where you are and let your friends know too.
If you’re thrilled about this feature and would love to try it out, you might want to read below to find out how to get it working.
Turning On/Off Nearby Friends
- First, turn on Location services and Background Location on your phone.
- Access your Facebook account.
- Tap on the hamburger menu on the top right corner.
- Tap “Nearby Friends“.
- Tap next to your name to toggle on Nearby Friends.
- If you want to turn it off, follow the steps above and toggle next to your name to turn it off.
- Turn on Location services and set Location Access to Always on your phone.
- Login to your Facebook account.
- Tap on the hamburger menu on the bottom right corner.
- Tap “Nearby Friends“. In case you don’t see the Nearby Friends option, don’t panic. Go ahead and tap See More.
- Tap the Settings (gear) icon in the top right corner.
- Tap on the toggle to toggle on Nearby Friends.
- To turn it off, follow the above steps and then tap the toggle.
Depending on what device type you use, after following the appropriate steps above, you and friends who’ve also enabled the Nearby Friends feature will be able to share your location.