Are you concerned about your privacy on Facebook and want to make your Facebook account completely private to non friends or even friends?
In this post, I’ll show you in detailed steps how to change your privacy settings in order to make everything private on Facebook.
How to make your Facebook account completely private
To make your account private, you first need to go to your privacy settings page
1. Go to privacy settings page
- Click the down arrow icon at the top right of any Facebook
- choose “Settings“ from the drop down menu
- click on the “Privacy“ tab
If you are in your privacy settings page, we are going to adjust each item individually
2. Change your default sharing settings
You might want to choose who can see your future posts.
- click “Edit“ next to “Who can see your future posts?”
- click the audience selector and select the audience you want from the drop down menu.
- choose “Friends“ to share your future posts only with your friends, or select “Only me“ to hide your next posts from everyone.
3. Limit the audience for your old posts
You might want to limit the access to your old published posts and share them only with friends.
- Click “Limit Past Posts“ link beside “Limit the audience for posts you’ve shared friends of friends or Public?”
- click “Limit Old Posts“ button
- Click “Confirm“
- Click “Close“ in the popup window
- Then press the “Close“ link.
4. Prevent the public from sending you friend requests
You might want to restrict getting friend requests from people you don’t know by hiding the add friend button from your Facebook profile.
- Click “Edit“ next to “Who can send you friend requests?”
- Then click the audience selector and choose “Friends of Friends“ instead of “Everyone”
- Press “Close“.
5. Stop people from viewing your friends list
You might want to hide your friends list
- click “Edit“ next to “Who can see your friends list?”
- click the audience selector and select “Only me” to hide it from everyone.
- choose “Friends“, to share it only with your friends or select “Custom“, to set it to a custom settings.
- press “Close,” once done
6. Control who can search for you on Facebook
You might want to control who can search for you on Facebook using the email address or phone number associated with your account.
- Click “Edit“ next to “Who can look you up using the email address you provided?”
- choose “Friends“
- Press “Close“
- Click “Edit“ beside “Who can look you up using the phone number you provided?”
- choose “Friends“
- Press the “Close“ link.
7. Stop search engines from linking to your Facebook profile
You might want to prevent search engines from linking to your profile.
By doing this, Facebook will prevent search engines like Google Search, Bing search, Yahoo search and others from indexing your profile.
Also, people who are not logged into Facebook won’t be able to view your profile at all.
- click “Edit“ next to “Do you want search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile?”
- uncheck the box next to “Allow search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile”
- in the pop up window, click “Turn Off“
- Press “Close“.
8. Stop friends from posting on your own timeline
- click “Edit“ next to “Who can post on your timeline?”
- select “Only me“
- press the “Close“ link.
- click Edit next to Review posts you’re tagged in before the post appears on your timeline?
- choose Enabled
- press Close.
9. Hide personal information on Facebook
You might want to hide the About page sections of your profile.
- Go to your profile
- Below your cover photo, hover over More and then select Manage Sections at the bottom
- Click to check or uncheck the sections you want to show or hide and then click Save
10. Hide your pictures and photo album
To edit the privacy settings for photo albums you’ve posted:
- Open the album.
- Tap and then tap Edit.
- Tap Audience and use the audience selector tool to choose who can see your album.
Note: Only the person who posted an album can change its privacy settings.
You can choose an audience for individual photos in the following albums:
- Profile Pictures
- Cover Photos
- Mobile Uploads
- Timeline Photos
To adjust the privacy settings of photos you’ve posted to these albums:
- Tap the photo to view it
- Tap More Options
- Tap Edit Photo
- Tap Audience and use the audience selector tool to choose who can see your photo.
- Tap Done Editing
11. Hide Liked Pages
- Go to your timeline, click the “More” drop down tab and click “Likes”
- Click the edit (pencil) icon on the upper right hand of the page.
- select “Edit Privacy” from the drop down menu.
- Click the “arrow” button and select “Only Me”